As each new year begins, so does the process of getting to know the new members as well as helping them become a part of the team. Although your team will most likely bond at camp, especially if it’s away from home, it’s beneficial to start right after tryouts. There are several ways to achieve squad unity, and participating in team building activities at least once a week is a great way to do that.
Here are a few great ideas to foster positive teambuilding experiences with your team:
1. Have fun outside of cheerleading or dance. Have a slumber party, get together at a local restaurant, pizza party, or pool party. It will give you and your team time to get away from the stress of games and practice, but still be together.
2. Fundraise. Sure, you have to work hard when you raise money, but you will be working hard together. From bake sales to car washes, you are sure to raise loads of money, all while spending time together and bonding as a team.
3. Reach out to your community. Community service is a great way to spend quality time with your squad while helping others at the same time. Volunteering at hospitals, charities, and city activities are just a few ideas to get you started.
4. Have “themed” practices. Come up with a different idea for the next few practices where the team can dress up (dress safely for stunting). This way they are getting the practice time in, but it breaks the monotony. Some ideas are decades (70’s or 80’s) or superheroes.
5. Have positive circles before games and practices. This reminds the team how much fun it can be, and helps them forget about the negative aspects of being tired, etc.
6. Attend a leadership workshop together, participating in such activities as a ropes course, trust falls, and obstacle courses.
Here is the website I got this off of: