A few girls have been facebooking me asking me for tips for Basketball Cheer Try-outs. So I decided it was the perfect opportunity to make a post!!! :)
Here are just a few things to remember for your tryouts! :)
1. Make sure you attend ALL of the workshops and meeting before the tryout day. This will help you get your routine's down solid and the coaches always evaluate the girls during this time so they can kind of get an idea of who they want on their team.
2. Make sure you are always standing in the front when learning a routine or cheer or whatever it is you are being taught. You have to act super confident because they will see that, and all the girls that rush and hide in the back will never be noticed by the coaches. You want them to watch you. Even if you are scared, you have to make yourself think you are the best there. They can tell when a girl is super confident!
3. Keep every motion you do tight! This is the MOST important thing you can do! (As well as smiling...)
If you look sloppy, they will automatically rule you out and you will not even be considered in most cases. You HAVE to be sharp! Remember to squeeze all your muscles at once! It begins with squeezing your thigh's and fists as tightly as possible!
4. Be loud! You are a cheerleader! So prove it! This was hard for me to pick up on because when I first started I was super shy. But you HAVE to use your diaphragm and yell as loud as possible!!!
...BUT NEVER SCREAM! I have heard one too many girls scream and screech while cheering and it sounds terrible! You cannot even understand what they are saying! You have to use your diaphragm to make quick, punchy sounds. You can't use your voice to scream. Coaches HATE it.
5. Wear the right clothing to tryouts. Do not wear SUPER short shorts, with tank-tops that show cleavage or bra-straps. You want to look clean, and like you are presenting the school. So wear shorts (and don't roll them), and t-shirt and a cute bow. *If you do wear a tank top, make sure you are wearing a bra that does not show!*
6.ALWAYS WEAR SCHOOL COLORS!!! They hate nothing more than a girl wearing another schools shirt just because it says "Cheer" on it, or whatever. You must wear things in spirit of the school you want to cheer for!
7. With your kicks, it doesn't matter how far off the ground you can get them, you just need to always make sure your leg is STRAIGHT. Even if you can only get 6 inches off the ground!
Click on this link for a video how-to for help with jumps and kicks!!!
How to Do Jumps
8. The same applies for jumps! Keep your legs straight! And NEVER hunch your back! The most important thing with jumps is to keep your back up. Look straight ahead and never down! They want to see your pretty face! :)
9.Smile, Smile and SMILE:)
10. Ask the coach questions, or make small talk with her/him. They will begin to take interest in you. But do NOT become over-bearing or snobby. You want them to like you! So act sweet (but not over-kill) and just happy! Be yourself! :)
P.S-They LOVE when you ask questions! But don't ask too many, or it may get annoying or seem like you have NO clue what you are doing.
Well, good luck to all of you! I hope you guys make it! But remember, if you don't, it is not the end of the world. Even though you may be devastated and it may seem like it is, you will get over it. It is there loss. So take your time off to improve, and come back full on impressing them next year!
Comment and tell us how you do!!! :) And remember to post some pics as well on facebook or the blog! :)