Hey everybody! Once again it is that time of year again to make your transition from football over to the basketball season!
Here are some tips you will need to remember while starting out the new winter season!
2. Remember to do a tunnel for the guys! Have a cheer planned out and maybe even make a poster for them to run through. This can commonly be forgotten during basketball season because of all the hype that was made over football. Don't forget these guys too!
3. Again, these poor guys can be forgotten! Make sure everyone on the cheer team has a locker buddy and go have the team decorate the boys' lockers! It's fun and a great way to let the guys know you care about them too! Maybe even try to talk to them and open up new conversation! :)
4. Because of the tight, indoor spacing in the basketball gyms, you will be right next to the crowd! So do a LOT more crowd involved cheers, dances, and songs so they can be included! It is much more personal with the crowd during basketball than football because the lack of space. So use it to your advantage and pump up the crowd! :)
5. You have a lot more room while performing dances/cheers during half-time or whatever. So make sure you use the room you have! Maybe try to have everyone spread out across the gym in a cool formation like a big X, or a star, or something different! Basketball season is a great time to use a lot of new creativity in your performances!
6. Stunting can be REALLY fun during basketball season! You have more room and a better ability to execute your stunts! Try to perfect them and make them really unique! You want to impress your crowd and give cheerleaders a good name at your school. Get really good tumblers to perform, and have girls stunting. The students get really interested in stunts and tumbling because most of them can't do them at all! Plus they just look REALLY cool! :)
*Tip:* -Use your pom-poms uniquely! Try to spell out your mascot, or something like "WHS" (or whatever your school is). In 7th grade I was the Jaguars and we spelled "JAGS" out with out black and silver poms. It looked REALLY cool!
Just be super creative with this! And if you are not the one making decisions for your team, maybe suggest these to your coach or to your captain! :) Good luck this season!